Goeree-Overflakkee Regional Museum
The Goeree-Overflakkee Regional Museum in Sommelsdijk offers a unique opportunity to experience the rich history and culture of the island of Goeree-Overflakkee. The museum is housed in seven small houses from the 17th century in the old village of Sommelsdyk and is divided into nineteen sections, including an annual changing exhibition.
What Can You Expect?
- Diverse Collections: Explore the various aspects of life and work on Goeree-Overflakkee, presented in an organized and engaging manner. The museum's collection dates back to the first century AD.
- Historical Insights: Admire a complete house, a grocery store, and a classroom from around 1900. The sections on fishing and agriculture provide an impression of the primary ways of life in the past.
- Craft Workshops: Take a peek into the workshops of a blacksmith, clog maker, and shoemaker.
- Medieval Coin Hoard: See the largest medieval coin hoard ever found in the Netherlands.
- Virtual Reality Experience: Experience the 'Watersnoodramp' of 1953 through a Virtual Reality Experience, commemorating the devastating flood disaster in which hundreds of island residents lost their lives.
A Destination for the Whole Family
The Goeree-Overflakkee Regional Museum offers a fascinating glimpse into the past, bringing to life the island's history over the centuries. This museum is a valuable destination for anyone interested in local history and culture.
Dive into the history of Goeree-Overflakkee at the Goeree-Overflakkee Regional Museum!
For informationKerkstraat 2-12, Sommelsdijk